Skip to main content

I’ve shut the critics up, says Zlatan Ibrahimovic

London (AFP) – Zlatan Ibrahimovic believes his goal-scoring form for Manchester United has forced his critics to eat their words.
There were fears that, aged 35, the former Paris Saint-Germain star would struggle to cope with the ferocious pace of the Premier League.
But he has risen to the challenge in style, scoring 17 goals in his first 27 appearances for the club to keep United within sight of the Champions League places.
“I feel good,” he said in comments published by several British newspapers on Monday. “I don’t know how many years I have left, but I am enjoying the football.
“I came to the Premier League and everyone thought it would not be possible, but like always, I make them eat their balls.
“It gives me a lot of energy, trust me, because they get paid to talk s*** and I get paid to play with my feet. That’s how I enjoy it.
“Every year they (Premier League clubs) have been calling me and it was not feeling good, so I wanted to come when everyone thought I was over.”
Ibrahimovic was denied what would have been his 51st goal of 2016 when he had a volley chalked off for a high foot during United’s 2-1 win over Middlesbrough on Saturday.
Referee Lee Mason’s decision meant Ibrahimovic failed to match Lionel Messi’s tally for the year, but the former Sweden striker shrugged it off.
“Why he whistled, I don’t know,” he said. “At first he gave the goal and after 30 seconds, he changed his mind.
“There was not a lot to say to him because if you open your mouth, they give you a yellow. But I think I had a fantastic year. I’m not complaining.
“I came to United and my first six months here have been more than amazing. That (the record) was not important. For me, the win is the same if I would beat Messi or not.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Return Nigeria’s Stolen Assets, SERAP Urges Trump

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has urged the President of the United States of America (USA), Donald Trump, to attach and release to Nigeria, some $500 million worth of US-based proceeds of corruption traced to former Nigerian dictator, late General Sani Abacha. SERAP, which made this request in an open letter it send to the US President, also urged President Trump to initiate discussions with the Nigerian government to fulfill these objectives within an agreed framework and timeline. The organisation in the letter dated 3 February 2017 and signed by the organization’s US Volunteer Counsel Professor Alexander W. Sierck and executive director Adetokunbo Mumuni, also wants the Trump’s Administration to instruct the Justice Department to initiate civil asset forfeiture proceedings in regard to the $500 million in assets. SERAP further stated, “these proceeds are separate from the $480 million of Abacha-origin funds that have been forfeited to the US...

Record signing, Oscar lands in Shanghai to join SIPG

 Brazilian midfielder Oscar landed in Shanghai on Monday where the 25-year-old was set to smash the Asian transfer record with a reported 60 million euros ($63 million) deal with Shanghai SIPG. Dozens of supporters chanting club songs swarmed the former Chelsea player at the city’s Pudong airport. Oscar’s arrival in the Chinese Super League comes ahead of that of Argentina’s former Manchester United striker Carlos Tevez, who signed for Shanghai Shenhua in another big-money deal last week.  Tevez’s transfer fee was 10.5 million euros, according to the website transfermarkt.com, which tracks dealings in the sport, though the reported two-year contract of 38 million euros per season ($40 million) makes him the world’s highest salaried footballer. SIPG’s general manager on Monday dismissed concerns raised by state media of a market bubble in the super-rich Chinese league, arguing prices have to be higher to attract players away from big European leagues. “The leagu...

Ghanaian migrant commits suicide in Malta

A Ghanaian migrant who was facing deportation from Malta took his own life on Saturday after he was forced to "feel like a criminal" by a new immigration policy in that country. The Times of Malta   reports that, Frederick Ofosu, 33, was found strangled with an electric cable in a Qawra building site on Saturday night. He left a recorded message for friends explaining his despair, saying he was being forced to feel like a criminal when he had done no wrong, according to Ahmed Bugri, director for the Foundation for Shelter and Support for Migrants. Dr Bugri who identified the victim together with a Ghanaian embassy official, said the government's decision to review the so-called THPn system had forced him to the edge. However, the Home Affairs Minister Carmelo Abela said the victim had applied for assisted voluntary return scheme to return to Ghana last September. His return process could not be concluded because there were other pending court cases. Mr A...