Skip to main content

Gambia: Jammeh Says ‘No Deal’ To Ecowas Mediators

Last ditch attempt by regional leaders to persuade Gambia’s President Jammeh to give up power peacefully at the end of his term have ended in Banjul without any breakthrough.

According reports, which have not been officially confirmed,  Presidents Muhammadu Buhari of Nigeria, Johnson Sirleaf of Liberia and ex-President Mahama of Ghana were unable to convince Mr Jammeh to respect last month’s election results and facilitate a smooth transfer of power.
Mr Jammeh, 51, who has ruled the Gambia for 22 years was defeated in the December election by opposition candidate Adama Barrow.
He had initially conceded defeat and praised the country’s electoral system as rigged proof, but changed his mind a week later and declared the results null and void citing huge and unacceptable mistakes by the electoral commission.
Mr Jammeh later filed a suit at the supreme court asking judges to determine that Adama Barrow was not duly elected or returned as president, and that the said election was void.
But the court is unable to hold a hearing until May – as most of the judges come from neighbouring countries – and Mr Jammeh has said he is going nowhere until then even though his mandate ends on January 18th.
Adama Barrow boarding a flight to Bamako, Mali
At Friday’s meeting with President Jammeh, reports said the Ecowas delegation who have also met with President-elect Barrow, the Chief Justice of the Gambia, Emmanuel Fagbenle and  two electoral commissioners, made it clear how serious their assignment was and emphasised their determination to find a peaceful solution that accords with the constitution of the Gambia and also reflects the will of the Gambian people as expressed in the December polls.
The team also reiterated the decision made last month by Ecowas head of states in Abuja, Nigeria, to send a Senegal-led military force to intervene militarily in the Gambia and enforce the outcome of the election if he refuses to give up power when his mandate expires on January 18th.
Reports added that Mr Jammeh in response insisted on staying in power until the Supreme Court decides on his election petition in May. He reportedly told the delegation that he was cheated in the election and is seeking redress it the court in line with provisions of the constitution of the Gambia.
Mr Jammeh is also  reported to have asked the mediators to drop the threat of military intervention, which he described as unhelpful.
He also called for them to respect the sovereignty of the Gambia and warned that his regime will defend the country against any outside military invasion.
He said while he is strongly in favour of a peaceful solution to the crisis, he wants justice and fairness to prevail.
Meanwhile, President-elect Barrow has left Banjul for Bamako, Mali, where he will give a first hand report on the political standoff at the Africa-France summit.
During the summit, President Buhari will also brief his colleagues about the outcome of his mediation efforts before a final decision is taken by the head of states.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arsenal’s Wenger concerned by Chinese spending power

Arsene Wenger fears the huge wages being offered by big-spending Chinese clubs could cause problems when the Premier League teams look to negotiate new contracts with their star players.  Wenger is currently locked in talks with Arsenal duo Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez as the pair reportedly seek parity with the best-paid players in the Premier League. The Arsenal manager is hoping for successful resolutions to those contract stand-offs, but he believes the money on offer in the China Super League may persuade the Premier League’s star names to ask for even bigger pay packets to stay in England. Chelsea striker Diego Costa has been linked with a move to China, with an offer of £600,000-per-week ($739,000) reportedly on the table for the Spain international. Two of his former Chelsea team-mates, Oscar and John Obi Mikel, have already moved to Super League outfits, while former Manchester United striker Carlos Tevez became the highest-earning player in the world when h...

Return Nigeria’s Stolen Assets, SERAP Urges Trump

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has urged the President of the United States of America (USA), Donald Trump, to attach and release to Nigeria, some $500 million worth of US-based proceeds of corruption traced to former Nigerian dictator, late General Sani Abacha. SERAP, which made this request in an open letter it send to the US President, also urged President Trump to initiate discussions with the Nigerian government to fulfill these objectives within an agreed framework and timeline. The organisation in the letter dated 3 February 2017 and signed by the organization’s US Volunteer Counsel Professor Alexander W. Sierck and executive director Adetokunbo Mumuni, also wants the Trump’s Administration to instruct the Justice Department to initiate civil asset forfeiture proceedings in regard to the $500 million in assets. SERAP further stated, “these proceeds are separate from the $480 million of Abacha-origin funds that have been forfeited to the US...

Record signing, Oscar lands in Shanghai to join SIPG

 Brazilian midfielder Oscar landed in Shanghai on Monday where the 25-year-old was set to smash the Asian transfer record with a reported 60 million euros ($63 million) deal with Shanghai SIPG. Dozens of supporters chanting club songs swarmed the former Chelsea player at the city’s Pudong airport. Oscar’s arrival in the Chinese Super League comes ahead of that of Argentina’s former Manchester United striker Carlos Tevez, who signed for Shanghai Shenhua in another big-money deal last week.  Tevez’s transfer fee was 10.5 million euros, according to the website transfermarkt.com, which tracks dealings in the sport, though the reported two-year contract of 38 million euros per season ($40 million) makes him the world’s highest salaried footballer. SIPG’s general manager on Monday dismissed concerns raised by state media of a market bubble in the super-rich Chinese league, arguing prices have to be higher to attract players away from big European leagues. “The leagu...