Skip to main content

Sean 'Diddy' Combs on growing up: "I wanted to... shake up the world"

Sean "Diddy" Combs is not surprised by his success.

"When I was growing up I really felt that I would be somebody," Combs told CNNMoney this week. "I felt like I wanted to come and shake up the world. I wasn't really surprised when I had reached a certain amount of success through hard work."

Combs, 46, tops Forbes' list of the wealthiest rappers with a staggering $750 million fortune. He's made that money in ways that go way past music. Combs' clothing line, Sean John, which he started in 1998, brings in a reported $525 million a year in revenue. He has a deal with Ciroc Vodka that pays him a hefty portion of its profits.

And those are only some of the businesses he has a hand in. Also part of his portfolio: Revolt Films and Revolt Media & TV, which launched in 2013; Bad Boy Worldwide Entertainment; Combs Wine & Spirits; AQUAhydrate and a marketing and advertising firm, The Blue Flame Agency.

Combs credits his drive largely to his mother's influence. "I would say the biggest mentor in my life has to be my mother," he said. "I know it's like a cliché answer, but that's just honestly who has been my biggest mentor."

He went on to tell a story from his childhood that changed his life forever. "One day I asked my mother for a pair of sneakers and she almost started to cry," he said. "My hustle was born. I never wanted to see her face like that again."

He immediately went out and got a paper route and that, he said, is when a "light bulb went off" for him.

"I called one of the guys that was going off to college and told him I'd deliver his papers for him while he's off and send him half the money," he said. "He accepted it and then I franchised it out and by the time I was 14. My mother didn't have to have that look on her face anymore."

Just this week Combs unveiled his latest Ciroc campaign, "Let's Get It," featuring DJ Khaled and French Montana, in an attempt to reach the millennial generation.

"I think that's in the millennial spirit and I think that's what I represent and Cîroc represents," he said. "I love the campaign, because it tells the history of how myself and DJ Khaled and French Montana, how we came from humble beginnings and what it took for us to get to this point."

On top of innate hustle, the Harlem-born entrepreneur also realizes the importance of education. Earlier this week he attended the opening of Capital Preparatory Charter School in Harlem, New York, a school he co-founded. The school currently has 176 students in the sixth and seventh grades with plans to expand.

"Growing up as an entrepreneur, I thought everybody was like me, so I just wanted everybody to go as hard as me," Combs said. "When you are a leader, you have to learn that everybody's not like you and you have to figure out a way to motivate them."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Return Nigeria’s Stolen Assets, SERAP Urges Trump

Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has urged the President of the United States of America (USA), Donald Trump, to attach and release to Nigeria, some $500 million worth of US-based proceeds of corruption traced to former Nigerian dictator, late General Sani Abacha. SERAP, which made this request in an open letter it send to the US President, also urged President Trump to initiate discussions with the Nigerian government to fulfill these objectives within an agreed framework and timeline. The organisation in the letter dated 3 February 2017 and signed by the organization’s US Volunteer Counsel Professor Alexander W. Sierck and executive director Adetokunbo Mumuni, also wants the Trump’s Administration to instruct the Justice Department to initiate civil asset forfeiture proceedings in regard to the $500 million in assets. SERAP further stated, “these proceeds are separate from the $480 million of Abacha-origin funds that have been forfeited to the US...

Record signing, Oscar lands in Shanghai to join SIPG

 Brazilian midfielder Oscar landed in Shanghai on Monday where the 25-year-old was set to smash the Asian transfer record with a reported 60 million euros ($63 million) deal with Shanghai SIPG. Dozens of supporters chanting club songs swarmed the former Chelsea player at the city’s Pudong airport. Oscar’s arrival in the Chinese Super League comes ahead of that of Argentina’s former Manchester United striker Carlos Tevez, who signed for Shanghai Shenhua in another big-money deal last week.  Tevez’s transfer fee was 10.5 million euros, according to the website transfermarkt.com, which tracks dealings in the sport, though the reported two-year contract of 38 million euros per season ($40 million) makes him the world’s highest salaried footballer. SIPG’s general manager on Monday dismissed concerns raised by state media of a market bubble in the super-rich Chinese league, arguing prices have to be higher to attract players away from big European leagues. “The leagu...

Ghanaian migrant commits suicide in Malta

A Ghanaian migrant who was facing deportation from Malta took his own life on Saturday after he was forced to "feel like a criminal" by a new immigration policy in that country. The Times of Malta   reports that, Frederick Ofosu, 33, was found strangled with an electric cable in a Qawra building site on Saturday night. He left a recorded message for friends explaining his despair, saying he was being forced to feel like a criminal when he had done no wrong, according to Ahmed Bugri, director for the Foundation for Shelter and Support for Migrants. Dr Bugri who identified the victim together with a Ghanaian embassy official, said the government's decision to review the so-called THPn system had forced him to the edge. However, the Home Affairs Minister Carmelo Abela said the victim had applied for assisted voluntary return scheme to return to Ghana last September. His return process could not be concluded because there were other pending court cases. Mr A...